Legislative scorecards are fantastic advocacy tools that help organizations rate legislative voting records based on organizational values. We custom-built this scorecard tool for Peace Action using ProPublica’s Congress API.
While we worked on Peace Action to rebuild their website, we also worked with them to improve their scorecard tool.
Their previous scorecard tool was challenging to edit and was quite outdated, but they wanted to retain many of the features, including scoring legislators and sharing an “honor roll” of legislators who were most in line with their organizational values.
We rebuilt the features into a WordPress framework using ProPublica’s Congress API, requiring quite a bit of customization and troubleshooting in the process. With fantastic feedback from the Peace Action team, we iterated on the scorecard development, adjusting features and data sets to make the features easier to manage through WordPress.
- General biographical information for current and past members of Congress.
- Voting history for members of the House of Representatives and Senate.
- Bill summaries, amendments, and related bills.
- Voting data updates every 30 minutes.
Legislative data and voting features include:
- A full list of all legislators with pagination.
- Legislators with a voting record at or above a set percentage.
- A clickable map for state legislative district information.
- Search functionality for finding legislators for a users’ address.
- Vote search based on set criteria.